Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Protein

            The most common question I get asked is how I get my protein since I cannot get it from the meat like most people can without even thinking about it. Honestly, I actually have no idea. I mean, I don’t eat peanuts, peanut butter, or any kind of nut because I think that they are absolutely vile and disgusting; the smell is so awful that I can’t stand to be around people who are eating anything with peanuts or peanut butter in it. But the taste (If I remember correctly), is even worse than the smell, in my opinion. I guess I could say that I get my protein from bananas (which I rarely eat), eggs (which I also rarely eat), or baked beans (the vegetarian kind, of course).
            I actually know quite a few people who are also vegetarians and I have asked them about this topic. One of my closest friends, who is also a vegetarian takes vitamins every single day, but I have never had to do that because I do not feel like I need to do that. But, I actually think that she takes it just to make sure nothing would happen. If I had to do that though, I probably would end up forgetting to take it just like I do with all of the other medicines that I am supposed to take every single day. 

            Sometimes, I will have a person ask me as if they are incredibly concerned for my health how I get my protein and I always find that to be very amusing because I do not consider that to be an important issue for me to be worried about (even though I probably should). I mean, I understand protein is a big factor in a person’s diet but I think that protein can be found in foods that a person would never think of to have protein in them. For example, after doing research I have made some surprising discoveries about foods that have protein in them; one-hundred grams of cheese has almost double the amount of protein in it than one-hundred grams of eggs does, and one-hundred grams of sunflower seeds contain more protein than one-hundred grams of almonds. Also, if you think about it the majority of foods that are baked or cooked have eggs in them. Personally, I obviously have no idea when it comes to my protein consumption but I do know that I feel healthy enough without worrying about how to get my recommended amount of protein every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment