Thursday, October 31, 2013

Milk and Eggs

            Some people need to learn what the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan is; Vegans are not allowed to eat or drink eggs or milk(well, and meat of course) and basically, vegans do not put anything that came from an animal in any way into their body for whatever reason. The only similarity between that and being a vegetarian is the fact that they both do not eat meat. Vegetarians can eat and drink anything dairy or anything with dairy in it.
            I have had people come up to me looking very confused as I am eating something like cake and then ask in a very disappointed tone why I gave up being a vegetarian after sticking to it for so long. That always cracks me up because I thought like nearly everyone knows that just because something has eggs in it, does not mean I can’t eat it. Oh, I can and I surely do. If I didn’t, then why would I not call myself a vegan instead of a vegetarian? Some people ask me something about how I think it is alright for me to drink milk and eat eggs. Okay, I am going to start with my opinion on milk. First of all, the process of getting the milk out of the cow does not harm the cow at all so why would that matter? I mean, I really actually have no idea because I have never had that done to me but I have seen it done to a cow before and it sure does not look like they are in any pain.
          When I first got asked the question about how I can be okay with eating eggs and not meat, I did get a little scared because all eggs have the potential to mature and eventually hatch into a baby chick, right? That is what I thought from for the longest time watching all of those cartoons on TV where a chicken lays an egg, it starts to crack moments later, and a cute little chick emerges from the leftover shell, smiling and happy to meet its mother. So, how could I be okay with eating eggs? First of all, as a vegetarian that does not eat peanut butter, that is one of my main sources of protein. But, that would still be morally wrong, right? Not necessarily. The eggs that are sold in groups of six or twelve at the grocery store were eggs that were never going to hatch because they were never fertilized(I could go into more detail, but I don’t think that’s what you came here to read). Now, I am not entirely sure if this is true to be honest but, that’s just what I tell myself because someone told me that.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a peanut allergy or is there a certain ingredient in it that makes it not okay for you to eat? Also, what is your stand-point on people who still eat fish, or only do not eat red meats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just always have hated everything about peanut butter, I cannot stand it. It would be convenient if I did like it though, considering that would be a good source of protein & has other health benefits as well.
    As for people that are the type of vegetarian that chooses to eat fish & seafood, I used to be totally against that. I didn't understand how they were still considered a vegetarian. However, I am now one of those people. I eat fish & seafood occasionally too.

    ReplyDelete